Friday, August 21, 2009

My Journey Starts Here.


What's this about?

I've made a decision, I'm going back to the old school to shave like my grandfather did with an old safety razor and shaving brush. Why?

Well it's for a couple of reasons:-

1) To see if it is a financially viable alternative to electric shavers, disposable razors and the plethora of multi-bladed razors out there.
2) Will it give me a better shave? By that I mean, closer, smoother, less ingrown hairs and shaving bumps or razor rash.

Finally and possibly the main reason is Gillette's latest advertising campaign for the fusion. They're advertising against one of their own successful products, the Mach3 a razor that I have shaved with regularly for many years.

Am I tempted to buy one? No. Just check out the prices. The regular fusion costs £5 with 2 blades. The fusion power with one blade and battery costs £6.50, replacement blades costing around £2 - £2.50 each.

So a bit of basic maths. In my experience (albeit with mach 3 blades) these blades will last approximately one week of shaving. So initial purchase of the basic fusion at £5 plus 50 weeks of blades totals £105. That's before the cost of shaving gels or foams.

This blog will hopefully become a diary of my discovery of traditional wet shaving and will chart my experiences of it over the coming months.
Laters